Purpose of the Parent Council
Parent Councils can provide
an excellent forum for parents to come together, share ideas, and put
forward their views to the Principal and governing body of their
school. They can break down barriers, perceived or actual, between the
school and parents.
Although every Parent Council evolves
differently depending on the nature of the school, they all serve two
distinct but related purposes:
- To give parents a voice and
increase their active involvement in decision-making, fostering a
culture of ownership and participation.
- To develop a
partnership between the school and parents/carers in order to support
and promote the pupils’ learning and bring about change.
are the two aims for the Parent Council at WEPA this year. Alongside
more formal meetings, to begin later in the academic year (if there is
sufficient interest), we will also be inviting parents in to assist
with different projects and activities throughout the school year.
These projects include, but are not limited to: charity days, Futures
Week, reading projects and work with the Green Team. Letters and flyers
will be sent out bearing the branding of the parent council before each
event. Thank you to parents who have already contributed by attending
the coffee morning to share ideas, and to those who have been in to
school to read with children – this is hugely appreciated. Benefits for children
Benefits for parents
- Children achieve more when their parents are involved in their education.
- Their parents will receive advice and information about how to support their learning.
- Their concerns can be resolved more quickly when their parents have a positive relationship with school staff.
- Children can learn things that may be outside the experience of their teachers, but are a particular specialism of a parent.
- Parents have a forum in which they can come together, share ideas and put forward their views to the school.
- They get the support and advice they need to help and encourage their children with their learning.
- They have more information about their children's education and the quality of that education.
Information and Meeting Minutes - 2017
Information and Meeting Minutes - 2016
Information and Meeting Minutes - 2015 - 16